31 May, 2009

"Terminator: Salvation" Film Review


Let me put it this way, when we were standing at the ticket booth deciding between Terminator: Salvation and Angels and Demons, I didn’t even hesitate.

Terminator Salvation is a sci-fi film directed by McG in 2009. It is the fourth installment in the Terminator movie series. The film stars Christian Bale, Sam Worthington, Bryce Dallas Howard, Anton Yelchin, Moon Bloodgood, Common, and Helena Bonham Carter.

Christian Bale always brings A-game acting, and his incarnation of John Connor is gritty and passionate. Everybody was pretty cool, but Sam Worthington deserves an extra kudos, even if his character was predictable. This new Terminator film finally showed the audience the future after the infamous Judgment day, and the apocalyptic scenery is certainly epic. It was fun to see all the action, I especially enjoyed the scenes where Marcus (Sam Worthington) and Blair (Moon Bloodgood, awesome name by the way) were trying to escape the headquarters, the cinematography was especially spectacular in that. Actually, any scene with Sam Worthington was a win for me, and it wasn’t just because he was pretty to look at. Promise. McG did manage to make me dizzy with the camera in the beginning though, but I guess most ex-music video directors can be a little camera obsessed. Story-wise, you don’t necessarily need to watch the previous Terminator films to watch Salvation, you just need to watch those for the sake of enjoying them, because they’re awesome in themselves. I even enjoyed T3, somehow. The action was worth sitting through the cheesiness, but I'm really tired of the “a block of wires and metal can beat like a heart too” motto all the Terminator movies are fond of.

Terminator: Salvation is cool enough to waste time and money for, at least in my book, but I don’t think that it’s especially awesome.

And for all those who think that any Terminator franchise without the almighty Ahnold Sschwarzanubugger isn't authentic, well, you might be surprised.

Hasta la vista baby.

2 Comments:

Ken said...

Okay, I've never watched a movie this summer (at a movie house) and I'm regretting every single movie I haven't watched that I should've watched.

Terminator seems to be an interesting movie but I guess I'll have to pass until it comes in DVD or somesort.

Jizzka said...

Haha, yeah, it's cool, but it would be even better in a movie house because it takes advantage of the surround sound. =)